|Access: Medbay, Chemistry Lab, Morgue, Mineral Storage|
Additional Access: Genetics, Operating Theatre, Cloning Lab, Virology
Supervisors: Chief Medical Officer
Duties: Supply science with chemicals, make medicine and less likable substances in the comfort of a fully reinforced room
Guides: Guide to chemistry, Chemical recipes, Guide to Ghetto Chemistry, Grenade
Quote: Just to be clear, I shouldn't give the clown lube, right?
Bare minimum requirements: Stock the dispenser up with some beneficial medicine before you go off on your own chemical adventures. Give botanists unstable mutagen when they ask for it, and give the clown lube!
Tools of the trade
The Chem Dispenser turns electrical energy into a variety of basic chemicals, through
magic science. Guard it with your life. If you run out of power, you can disassemble the dispenser with screwdriver+crowbar and rebuild it by first putting the circuit board back, and then all other things but use a full power cell instead of the old one. Then screwdriver to finish. Or you can charge the machine with an inducer .
The ChemMaster 3000 can magically separate chemicals, and has the ability to produce a limitless supply of 50 unit pills, 40 unit patches and 30 unit bottles.
The Reagent Grinder is identical to the grinder the Chef has. It can be used to extract chemical reagents from things the Shaft Miners, Chef, and Botanists produce.
The Chemical Heater is important for making many recipes that require high temperatures to mix.
Inside the chemistry locker you will find boxes of pill bottles on some maps. These can be loaded with pills for inventory space efficiency.
Some maps also have medical sprays in the same locker. These can be filled with chemicals by using the ChemMaster. They work as patches and provide an optional way to apply medicine.
On a table is a hand labeler. This can be used to label beakers, pill bottles, grenades and many other things. Actual pills and patches are instead labeled with the ChemMaster.
If someone comes and requests something from you, make sure you fulfill them first. No one likes a chemist doing his own thing as they have to stand there waiting. If you are in the middle of something, inform them that you will be right with them.
- For yourself:
- Make plastic sheets, then use them to craft large water bottles. These are functionally identical to large beakers!
- Bring a few plastic sheets to the medical techfab, and you should be able to print a few 120u XL-beakers.
- Print a chemistry bag from your ChemDrobe. You will use it to put pills/patches/bottles in either the public chemical fridge (for the public), or the fridge accessable from medbay (for the doctors). It's your choice.
- Suggested basic chems (in order of urgency):
- Suggested intermediate chems:
- 10u neurine pills. This heals basic traumas.
- 5u oculine pills. Heals eyes.
- 0.5u inacusiate pills. Instantly heals ears.
- 40u synthflesh patches. Heals both brute and burn, even on corpses!
- 0.5u mutadone pills. Instantly removes mutations.
- 30u clonexadone bottle. Use one of the spare cryoxadone beakers near cryo to make it. Used in cryo mix to heal cellular damage faster.
- 10u dexalin plus pills. Swiftly heals oxyloss
- Suggested advanced chems:
- 20u pentetic acid pills. Heals toxins, major radiation and purges all chemicals quickly.
- 30u salbutamol pills. Heals oxyloss safely and lets you survive without air.
- 10u atropine patches. Quickly heals someone who is in crit.
- 0.5u rezadone pills. Instantly removes all cellular damage. Eliminates the need for cryo. Hunt and slaughter space carp or use your Botany skills to grow koibeans for the carpotoxin.
- 10u lipolicide pills. To make fat people slim.
Other things you may want to do
- During a disease outbreak, if the cure is something you can produce then make pills of it. Curing can take a random time so aim for pills at least 5u big. If the virologist comes in with a vaccine, then make 0.4u vaccine pills instead. Read more about common cures under here. You can also make the vaccine yourself at the holodeck Emergency Medical program, if you have time.
- Cargo might ask for a 30u bottle of a certain chemical for a bounty.
- Botany can use saltpetre to quickly optimize plant stats, diethylamine/ammonia as fertilizers and a dropper for precise mutations.
- Xenobiology can use radium to make various mutation toxins.
- The Virologist sometimes want more synaptizine to make new and exciting diseases.
- Geneticists can benefit from a supply of potassium iodide or to treat radiation levels in themselves and their subjects.
- The Janitor might want you to refill his space cleaner bottle.
- You can help the Chef replenish the supply of sugar.
- The Bartender might request various chemicals to make cocktails with, though bear in mind that a bartender who wants anything particularly toxic is probably up to no good.
- The Warden might request various chemicals to use in implants for prisoners, to ensure they don't re-offend.
- Grind up snacks to make nutriment or vitamin pills and taunt the Chef about his inefficient creations.
- Providing security with mutadone syringes in the event of a rogue geneticist can make you a lifesaver
- In the case of a rogue AI, Security may want thermite or EMP grenaqdes order to break through reinforced walls.
- You aren't far from the medbay lobby or the cryogenics, so if there are no Medical Doctors around, feel free to grab a health analyzer and start treating patients
As a chemist you have the tools you need to craft chemical grenades. See the grenade guide to learn how to make them. These can be both beneficial and malicious, depending on what chems you put into the two beakers. When the grenade is triggered the two beakers will mix. Typically you want the grenade to result in either smoke or foam containing other chemicals. To learn the differences between smoke and foam, see Smoke vs foam vs others.
Pills and Patches
Pills are a great way to give large amount of medicine at once, if you are going to make medicine that will be single serve, make it pill form. Each pill can hold 50 units of material at one time, and up to seven can be stored in a pill bottle! They are even small enough to store in your pockets. Patches are similar to pills, but work in a touch-based way rather than ingestion. Read more about the different ways of applying chemicals under Reagent Delivery.
- If there are no chemistry bags available, you can use wirecutters on two bedsheets, activate the resulting cloth in your hand and craft one.
- The effects of different chemicals stack, as they are all processed individually at the same time.
- Foam and smoke carry reagents. Foam will continuously apply the reagent's vapor effect, while smoke will cause touch effects and repeated ingestion. One can release a synthflesh smoke grenade to heal someone from critical to full health almost instantly.
- You don't need a grenade for foam. You can have fluorosurfactant in a beaker and a bottle of equal water. Combine the two to produce grenade-less foam.
- Medbay lobby looking like a chainsaw massacre? Let loose some space cleaner foam and watch as medical bay is magically cleaned and the janitor infuriated.