|Access: Hydroponics, Morgue|
Additional Access: Bar, Kitchen
Supervisors: Head of Personnel
Duties: Grow plants for the kitchen, mutate them in the name of science, grow less legal substances
Guides: Guide to Hydroponics, Guide to Plants, Guide to Beekeeping.
Quote: This is the Captain speaking, a reward will be issued for whoever brings in the Botanist who littered the hallways with miniature banana peels, thank you.
It is like... you know man, when you grow little... the little plants in the ground? And like, you go and grow happy mushrooms?
Well, ahem, yes! You are a hippie. You can make some of the best healing foods in the game, and the most lethal too. Also, you can grow hallucinogens and toxins! Just make sure you know what plants you are growing, or you will wind up dead from eating a bad shroom, total bummer.
Bare minimum requirements: Supply the chef with a reasonable amount of fresh produce. Don't destroy the station with your plants.
Plants are people too!
For the full chart with plant types, what they look like, and what they do, please check out the Guide to hydroponics.
E-Z-Nutriment: Makes your plant mutate once between harvests, resulting in different stats or even species. Does not affect yield.
Left-4-Zed: Makes your plant mutate twice between harvests. Downside: Plants take longer to germinate, and you'll need another fertilizer to actually harvest things.
Robust Harvest: Doubles the amount of plants you'll get when it's time to harvest. Does not affect stats.
Take your yummy vegetables to the fridge on the left side where the chef will be, then have him cook them up! There are many different dishes the chef can make from different foods you grow. Only YOU can prevent all-burger diets!
Tools of the Trade
You get a few fun tools as a botanist that will make your life so easy when growing plants:
Hatchet. It's a rather robust small cutting tool used to
murder people make wood planks, pumpkin helmets and corn cob pipes.
Cultivator. This one is meant to claw, or perhaps filter, out weeds from the hydroponic trays.
Plant-b-Gone Spray bottle. Kill hydroponic plants, kill kudzu weeds, kill alien weeds too, can be filled with other chemicals. Does minor toxin damage, but absolutely devastates plant persons.
Plant analyzer. It tells you basically everything about your plant, including its killing / drugging / healing properties.
Backpack irrigation system. Makes watering the plants much less annoying.
Buckets, in case you want to water the plants the annoying way. These function as beakers, so you can mix chemicals inside them too.
Chemical grinder and a large beaker, so you can extract chemicals from your plants.
There is a crate in the back room. It contains:
Wirecutters. To set up a more efficient irrigation system.
A wrench. To rearrange the trays.
A dropper, so you can mutate plants more precisely. An empty fertilizer bottle works as a ghetto substitute.
BEG the chemist to make you stuff, namely unstable mutagen. You will go through this stuff fast, so make sure they aren't stingy. If chemistry is helpful they can also give you a dropper for more precise mutations. A generous chemist might even lend you a spare chem dispenser if you ask nicely.
Different chemicals do different things to your plants when injected. Experiment until you find a blend you like!
Most of your crops can be blended down into chemicals themselves. You can also put these crops directly into hydroponics trays if dosage specificity isn't an issue.
An alternative to chemicals is a floral somatoray. You can get it from the scientists unless they and/or the shaft miners are being lazy. It is a gun that shoots mutation rays that either increases yield or tries to change the plant's stats. (Guide to hydroponics).
- Your bottles are better then regular bottles and can put in 1 2 5 10 15 30 doses. Droppers aren't as mandatory as they once were.
- You can fertilize your trays via applying harvested plants to a Hydroponics Tray with something already planted in it.
- The biogenerator can be used to fabricate gloves, belts, Botany chemicals, and even kitchen products such as meat and milk.
- Instead of growing wheat, you may find it less time consuming to throw some spare plants in the biogenerator to get a whole bag of flour. No grinding needed!
- Remember you can boost a plant back to health long past its normal lifespan by providing lots of nutriment or healing chemicals.
- Hatchets are extremely effective against space vines. Similarly, scythes will destroy them in a 3x3 radius.
- Goats will instantly consume any space vines they may walk into, or be pushed into.
- The plant products in the Garden and Chapel all have 50 potency, greater then any seeds found at the start of the round.
- The EZ-Nutrient, Left-4-Zed and Robust Harvest bottles all hold 50 units and can be set to have a transfer amount of 1, 2, 5 or more units; fill an empty bottle with unstable mutagen and you can use it for precise mutations.