|Access: Chapel office, Morgue, Crematorium|
Additional Access: N/A
Duties: Hold services and funerals, cremate people, preach, etc.
Guides: Cult, Religion, Hacking potentially useful.
Quote: There's something about the vast infinity of space that turns men to prayer. Especially if they get thrown into it without a space suit.
Pick a reasonable religion to follow and do not be a fanatical zealot about it. The chaplain is not intended to antagonize the station by default and you will be banned if you choose to be excessively disruptive. Remember: Nanotrasen would never have hired you for the position if you have such radical views that the station feels an immediate need to exile you.
In your possession are several important items, including your Holy Book and the Null Rod. These items are powerful and should be kept in your possession at all times.
You have to set the name of your god and religion in the Character Setup window before the round starts, else you will be stuck with whatever the default is. The first time you interact with your book in a round, you can set its skin. The resulting Bible starts with a bottle of whiskey, and perhaps some other junk; you may want to store the holy water on your desk.
Hitting somebody in the head with your Bible has a 60% chance to heal them and a 40% chance to give them 10 brain damage. You can even revive people who are in critical condition! But if you use the ability a lot, you will start to see diminishing returns, with a higher chance to cause brain damage, and a lower amount of damage healed.
- It should be noted that your book cannot be used by the non-believers, meaning: If someone steals your book and attempts to brain somebody over the head with it, the book will sizzle in that person's hands. However, others CAN access the content of the book itself.
This remote allows you to drop in a box with select chaplain-y clothes.
- Templar set- Standard templar armor, Deus Vult! (Fun fact, deus vult means "Gods Will." and Deus Lo Vult for "God Wills It")
- Stone sentinel- Like templar armor, but you look like a ancient guardian statue instead
- Profane scholar- A student robe and a head cage
- Followers of the chaplain- A cult leader hoodie and 4 follower hoodies.
Mysterious Old Book of Cloud-Chasing
This is a black book that teaches one person the spell "Smoke". See: Magical Items
The obsidian rod will be your defense against the forces of evil. Having it in your possession will make you completely immune to the effects of cult-related magic. It will also destroy any runes/sigils and is an excellent weapon in general.
You can transform it into a holy weapon of choice by using it in hand! Options are:
- Basic Null rod: Fits in pockets, 18 brute damage on hit.
- God Hand: Deals Burn damage instead of Brute, but you can never put it down, and it dissapears if your arm is cut off, should have taken chainsaw or armblade.
- Red Staff/Blue staff: Only fits on back, but high (50%) block chance. Very low damage. Projects a shield around you to represent the block chance.
- Claymore/Hanzo Steel: Deals normal damage, has a low (30%) block chance (not against projectiles), doesn't fit in bags but can be worn on the back or belt slot. Sharp.
- Dark Blade/Chainsaw Sword/Force Weapon: Like above, but cannot be worn on the back slot.
- Light/Dark/Nautical Energy Sword A weaker version of an energy sword. Cannot be sheathed like a typical energy sword, doesn't fit in bags. Doesn't deal more damage than a null rod, but it is sharp.
- Scythe/High Frequency Blade/Dormant Spellblade: Penetrates some armour, only fits on back. Same strength as the null rod. Sharp.
- Possessed Blade:Has the same statistics as a scythe. When used in hand, it will attempt to summon a ghost to possess the blade; if a ghost accepts, it'll become your talking sword. The ghost gets to pick the sword's name after that.
- Extradimensional Blade: Deals 1-30 damage when attacking.
- UNREAL SORD: Complete shit. Deals 4.13 damage.
- Relic Hammer: Same stats as a Null Rod, but can only be worn on the belt slot.
- Chainsaw Hand: just a mounted chainsaw. Deals the same damage as a Null Rod, but cannot be dropped and is sharp.
- Dark Blessing: Like the chainsaw hand, but it looks like a changeling's arm blade.
- Clown Dagger: No damage changes, looks like a honkrender and honks on attack. It's sharp.
- Hypertool: Same damage as a Null Rod, but only damages brain.
- Whip: No stat change, but can be worn on the belt slot. Has a small chance to knockdown and deals extra damage to vampires.
- Fedora: Goes on your head. Does high(30) throwing damage. No melee damage. Sharp.
- Carp-Sie Plushie: Less damage than null-rod, looks/sounds like a carp plushie. Using it in-hand makes the chaplain gain the carp faction. Wild carp will ignore him.
- Bo Staff: Has a 40% block chance, but deals slightly less damage than a Null Rod. Can be worn in the back slot.
- Arrhythmic Knife: Cannot be stored or worn anywhere. While holding it, it speeds you up and slows you down randomly.
- Pitchfork: Same damage as a Null Rod, but it's sharp and cannot be put in pockets.
- Pride-struck hammer: It resonates an aura of Pride, can only be worn on your back, does 16 damage and is pretty epic looking.
- Ancient Spear: An ancient spear made of brass, I mean gold, I mean bronze. Same damage as a null rod, but also has 10 armor piercing and is sharp.
You can only pick once.
Each chaplain is free to invent the details of their rituals.
- Funerals: You have a stock of coffins and burial garments you can use for wakes and space burials (that is, launching them out of the mass driver). Some employees appreciate wakes being held for friends and loved ones. See below.
- Psychological care. This includes counseling, pharmaceutical remedies (consult the chemist), and confessions. You have a confession booth; you and the confessor enter separate rooms and switch on the radio terminals. Most crew members rarely if ever submit to psychological care of their own initiative; offer to help when someone looks troubled. Prisoners are most often in need of attention.
- Church Services. Give sermons and sing hymns.
- Blessing Rooms. Your bible has the power to turn ordinary water into holy water by
blessingsmacking the container with it. Holy water stops any Evil Spirits or Magical Beings from Ethereal Jaunting onto the tile that you splash the holy water on, and can deconvert cultists. If a cult or wizard is discovered then it would be the best idea to bless a water-tank with your bible, give that to security, grabbing a fire extinguisher and blessing that too and then asking for the AI to let you in so you can bless his chamber from potential harm. The fire extinguisher will allow you to easily bless rooms because it will affect every tile that the water travels on. You can tell if a tile is blessed when it glows yellow after a little while.
The Mass Driver's primary purpose is for burials-at-space; wooden caskets are provided for this purpose. Caskets function likes lockers; place the body in the casket, give a eulogy (over the radio if no one is present), move the casket into the driver and fire it.
Note that some crew members may seek to use the Mass Driver as a way to exit the station into space; for safety reasons, make sure they are adequately equipped before letting them through.
The Crematorium is used to turn bodies into ash, including those of xenos. Remember to strip the body before cremating it.
Propitiating the Gods
The Pray command is like an adminhelp, but is IC, and should be worded deferentially (e.g., "Oh Great and Wise Pelor, please grant your humble servant...). It is advised that you only pray later in the round; the gods have a habit of ignoring early prayers. Prayers are more likely to be answered if they are somehow thematically appropriate: wishing for an RCD for no apparent reason is unlikely to be fulfilled, but performing an elaborate ritual to your chosen god may be more favorable!
You have candles and crayons in your locker. Candles can be set anywhere and lit (they eventually burn down). Crayons can be used to draw runes (commonly placed in front of the podium), as well as graffiti (not really your style) and letters (allowing you to write out messages across the ground).
Do not expect any prayers to be answered. Gods are fickle beings. Nobody knows what they are going to do next in their great designs.
GET BEHIND ME
During a cult invasion, you will suddenly find yourself a vital part of the station's security force, and also a target. You will want to ensure Security has a stock of holy water to deconvert cultists -- remember that your bible can bless any water it comes into contact with -- and Security may want your null rod as well. Your bible can be used to detect nearby hidden runes by hitting the floor with it. This can be invaluable in finding suspected cult bases. Finally, you are immune to cult magic, which will help you if you decide to go BATTLE PALADIN and
valid save everyone. For more information, go here.
Call an Exorcist!
If your god hates you enough, you may also encounter a Revenant, an undead ghost creature that wants your souls. Again, your null rod is incredibly robust against these creatures. Revenants are unable to pass tiles with holy water or salt, and salt will even stun them if they dare try to cross it. It is your duty to bless as much of the station as possible when you hear anyone speaking of ghosts or revenants.
You should find Altar of the Gods in your local chapel. To interact with it and start you sect first hit it with your bible and choose the sect you want to start. Choosing a sect will make you able to offer sect specific items to your God and perform rites that cost favor to obtain rewards. Sects you can currently choose:
- "Puritanism" - this is you basic sects. They have nothing special and have no rites.
- "Technophile" - a sect oriented around technology.
- They sacrifice powercells and get favor based on how much power the cells contained.
- Their rites include the following:
- Synth conversion - converts single person to android.
- Machine Blessing - Summons an implant or cybernetic organ.
- Machine Implantation - Implants the organ that is placed on the altar into either the player, or whoever is buckled on the altar itself.
- "Ever-Burning Candle" - a sect dedicated to candles.
- They can sacrifice burning bodes and candles.
- Their rites include the following:
- Fireproof - makes a piece of clothing fully fireproof.
- Infinite candle - grants you 5 ever burning candles.
- "Necromancy" - a sect dedicated to raising the dead and sacrificing the living.
- They can sacrifice any non-sentient living creature and organs.
- Their rites include the following:
- Living Sacrifice - Sacrifices a non-sentient living buckled creature for favor.
- Raise Dead - Bring a corpse back to life, as long as they are revivable, healing them in the process.
- Raise Undead - Create a sentient non-infectious high functioning Zombie or Skeleton as a sub-chaplain, grants them the name "Holy Undead (number)" and gives them basic chaplain clothing and a bible.
- Create Lesser Lich - Gives the buckled creature (or Player doing the ritual) a Lesser-Lichdom Spell, which transforms the target into a skeleton and grants them auto-resurrection twice, however they cannot be res'd by any other means.
- "Space Carp" - a sect dedicated to Space-Carp and Carp'sie
- They can sacrifice meat to gain favor
- Their rites include the following:
- Flood Area - Floods the local area with water vapor.
- Summon Carp-Suit - Summons a Space-Carp suit in exchange for any suit-slot clothing.
- Summon Carp - Summon a sentient Holy Space-Carp from the observer pool.
- Setting your religion's name to certain presets will give your holy book a special name.
- You can use your starting bible in your hand to change its sprite.
- Your bible, despite starting with some useless junk, can be emptied and filled with one small item.