|Access: Medbay, Morgue, Surgery, Cloning Lab, Mineral Storage|
Additional Access: Genetics Lab, Chemistry Lab, Virology
Supervisors: Chief Medical Officer
Duties: Save lives, run around the station looking for victims, scan everyone in sight
Guides: Guide to medicine, Guide to Surgery, Guide to Traumas
Quote: Oh, are you hurt? Here, let me kiss it better...
You are the Medical Doctor. You are at once essential and useless. With the advent of "perfect" cloning, saving lives is no longer as all important as it used to be. But don't despair! You can still help people! Mostly.
You spawn with a First-Aid Kit in Medbay where there are spares along with more specialized kits. There're also two syringe guns if you can get to one of them fast enough. Ammunition in the form of chemical medication can be found in the nearby vending machine pharmacy, but it's got nothing on what chemists can make.
Bare minimum requirements: If injured people will let you heal them instead of breaking into Medical Storage, do so.
When you are a Medical Doctor, your job is to heal people, save them from the brink of death, and dump those that do die into Genetics for cloning. You can diagnose injuries and diseases with the help of a health analyzer, conveniently located in all medical kits, or even your PDA. As a first step towards becoming a professional doctor, you are recommended to read the Guide to medicine. You will learn how to treat many different ailments.
The main reason you'll come into this room is to grab one of the health scanners on the table. These fashionable eyewear pieces let you see people's healthbars over their head. Not only is this useful for finding critical patients quickly in a crowd, but the red cross next to their healthbar will change to a sickly face if they're infected with a virus, or a purple xenomorph if they're infected with an alien larva. Chemists, Geneticists and many others will sometimes want these, too.
Special outfits such as nurse suits and EMT caps can be found in the medidrobe, for your special snowflake needs. You can find biosuits for when the virologist fucks up. There are also spare first-aid kits which should be kept safe for emergencies
A room with an operating table, surgical tools and an observation chamber. You will occasionally come in here to relimb patients, remove an inflamed appendix or filter all of the beer out of the station drunk's blood. Don't forget to use anesthetic if you don't want your patients screaming in pain!
The guide to surgery is here.
A Deep Freeze
One of your first jobs as a medical doctor is to set up the cryo tubes. Learn how here.
If a patient has died recently, you may be able to use the defibrillator to revive them on the spot. The defibrillator can be found in Medical Doctor lockers (plus a more portable version in the CMO's locker), and is usually used by up-and-coming paramedics.
To use a normal bulky defibrillator, take off your backpack or satchel, put the defib on your back and click it, get your other hand free and activate the paddles to wield them in both hands, then click on the patient while targeting their chest. If the patient is wearing a thick suit like a space suit or firesuit you need to strip it off as well. STOP DRAGGING the patient, if you are, to prevent yourself from being shocked as well.
In order to successfully resuscitate a patient, several criteria must be met:
1. The patient must not be dead for more than fifteen minutes.
2. The patient must not have over 180 brute or burn damage; 179 brute and 179 burn is fine, just not 180 of one type. Reduce their damage below 180, and you can try again.
3. The patient must not be a suicide.
4. The patient must not be catatonic.
5. The patient must be in their body (they will get a message when they begin being defibrillated).
6. The patient must have a heart. Plasmamen do not have hearts, for example.
7. If the patient has a heart, it must not have decayed completely. If there's too much heart decay, you'll need to replace it or perform a coronary bypass.
If all these factors are met, then the patient will come back to life! However, this doesn't mean they can just get right back up. Instead, they'll likely still be deep in critical condition, as a successful revival only removes a bit of each damage type. They must quickly receive medical attention if you want to keep them alive. Make sure to use a health analyzer or your PDA to check how they died; if they have harmful chemicals in their body, they most likely still do (chemicals remain in bodies after death, but do not metabolize).
Alternatively, you can disable the safeties on defibrillators in two ways: emagging it or having it be hit by any form of EMP (you can re-enable safety by doing the same thing again). The emag does it silently, but the EMP makes the defibrillator emit a warning sound. When the safeties are off, help intent functions normally, but disarm intent will instantly stun the victim for the duration of a stun baton as well as doing a large amount of stamina damage.
Medibots - Replace you, will they?
Medibots are the bane of any Doctor - their very existence is to replace you!
Not to worry! You can simply do your job by managing the Medibot. Move it to a location where you think it will do the most good and set it to stop patrolling.
- The medical belt can store all surgery tools.
- Bedsheets work as drapes for surgery.
- If you implant a guy with a flashlight, he can still use it as a flashlight, and even toggle it.
- You can use a health analyzer on a body to see the time of death.
- Cryo won't work on you if you have cold resistance:
- Insulating items like hardsuits, ins. gloves, gasmask, firesuits - they all slow down cryo or even stop it from working entirely.
- You can clone people that have been turned into an alien, by extracting the alien's brain and shoving it into a human body.
- Attach a stethoscope on your neck slot and it'll make you look like you know what you're doing.
- A fully upgraded cloner negates clone damage and brain damage. It can also clone husks.
- Showers (wrenched to be cold) will work as a substitute for cryo tubes
- People with hardsuits on cannot be defibbed.
- You can scan people with a health analyzer to see if they've been dead for a short enough amount of time so they can be defibbed
- Health HUDS will also display whether someone can still be defibbed as a blue ECG line, or that they can't as a skull.