|Note: This page is moderated and can be referenced in OOC issues, such as ban appeals, complaints, reports, etc. This may not apply to the pages this page links to.|
|This page is currently under construction!
The following page is currently in the process of being created, is undergoing a major structural rework and/or is being moved.
- 1 Global Rules
- 2 Sage(MRP) Rules
- 3 Golden(LRP) Rules
- 4 Index of Policies
All of the rules in this section apply to both servers and will be enforced equally regardless of which server you are on. Bans applied as a result of breaking Global rules will result in a ban from both servers, not just the server the offense occurred on.
R0 Admin Discretion
Admins retain the authority to ignore the rules at their discretion when they feel it's in the best interest of the current round or playerbase at large. However, they will be fully accountable for their actions should they choose to exercise this privilege. If an admin says something is a rule, and you disagree, follow what they say and make a complaint on the forum after the round.
Just because you bend the wording of a rule into a pretzel and don't break the specific RAW (Rule As Written) does not mean you didn't break the RAI (Rule As Intended). Rules can be subject to interpretation and if an admin believes you broke a rule as it is intended to function, you can expect the same consequences. Rules as intended always trump the rules as written, and "Toeing the line" is not permitted.
|R0 Key information|
• Praying makes you a target for admin abuse; Be careful what you wish for!
R1 Ticket Conduct
If you have had an issue within the current round that requires an admin's assistance to resolve, you may request such by using the "adminhelp" verb in your game window. When typing out your ticket, be as descriptive as possible and try to include character names, character jobs and a detailed description of whatever incident you need help with. Just as admins are expected to remain respectful during tickets, so are players - do not take out your frustrations on the admins and understand we can't always share full details of why something occurred as the round is going on. If an admin sends you a PM (BWOINK), you should respond as soon as you are capable of doing so and answer whatever questions they have to the best of your ability. If you are busy or in danger, try to send a short message such as "hang on" while you get somewhere else.
|R1 Key information|
• Ignoring an admin PM or closing the game after receiving one will automatically label you as guilty, and you will be given a permanent ban until you explain your side on the forums.
R2 Be Excellent to Each Other
Do not try and intentionally spoil fun for other people. While dying is a normal part of the game and IC conflicts will arise, dickish behavior and harassment is not allowed toward other players outside of the scope of such IC conflicts. Be patient with other players who may not know what they're doing and assist them when you can; Remember this is a newbie-friendly server before anything else and toxicity toward players for not understanding something will not be tolerated. In the spirit of this rule, no racial/homophobic slurs or generally intolerant behavior is permitted in or outside of the game. IC Racism between different species is permitted, but keep real-world slurs and references out of it.
No erotic content is to be posted OOC or IC as the server contains minors. Violation of this will result in an immediate, permanent ban which may or may not be eligible for appeal
|R2 Key information|
• Don’t attack or damage the arrivals shuttle, and do not attack anyone until they have left the shuttle at least once. • Do not attempt to keep a round hostage or try to force a round to end early. Constant calling or recalling of the shuttle against the flow of the round may result in your removal from the round
R3 Do Not Self-Antag
If you are not currently in an antagonist role, do not act like you are an antagonist. As a crew member on the space station, you are allied with Nanotrasen and the station as a whole from the start of the round - This means if you commit crimes that may result in you receiving capital punishment as non-antagonist, you are breaking this rule. If an IC conflict arises, be sure to follow Escalation Policy while defending yourself or your workplace. Naturally, this rule may be ignored by antagonists since it is their job to act like one.
|R3 Key information|
• Actively seeking conversion or transformation into an antagonist is considered self-antag. This includes actions that are blatantly careless such as bolting your upload open as an AI in the hopes of being subverted.
• Clowns, Mimes and Stage Magicians are expected to "entertain" the crew and have some allowance to skirt the above rules in order to suit gimmicks. Always safest to ask an available admin before carrying out a gimmick that pushes or crosses a line to make sure you have their approval.
R4 No Advertising/Recruiting
Do not post byond:// links to other servers with the intention of luring players to a different server. People are more than welcome to play elsewhere, you're just being rude. Obviously there are other servers out there and discussion may pop up now and then - advertising another server isn't the same as having a discussion about them. If you dislike it here and choose to stick around just to talk about how much better other servers are, we are likely to boot you back over to those other servers instead of allowing you to continue.
R5 No Multikeying
In order to correctly track players and ensure they are not cheating our notes and warning systems, choose one CKEY (byond account) to play on and stick with it. If your CKEY is offensive, you will be directed to create a new account and the old will be banned. If you are in a household with more than one person playing, it would be best to notify admins as soon as possible; if one of the accounts is banned, the other may be considered ban evasion if we don't already know about it ahead of time.
|R5 Key information|
• If you are found to be using an alternate account to ban evade, you will be permanently banned from the server. Existing permanent bans are far less likely to be considered for appeal if you have been caught evading. • If you are found to have more than one account logged into the same round, all accounts will be banned permanently as this is considered cheating.
R6 Antag Conduct
- If you are part of a team, you must work with your partners toward completing whatever objectives you share. This means you do not have the option to refuse to assist your team when converted.
- Antagonists with objectives involving hijacking the escape shuttle, dying a glorious death, or who possess His Grace/Clown Car are exempt from all other antagonist conduct.
- Antags are expected to follow all rules that do not directly interfere with their objective unless otherwise listed as exempt.
- Antags are free to complete their objective by any means available, within reason. For example, destroying large amounts of the station is reasonable if your objective is to hijack the shuttle; it is not acceptable as a distraction if your objective is to steal the station's blueprints.
- As long as you are playing an antagonist that is allowed to kill, Security is considered a threat and may be pre-emptively eliminated without provocation, but low-collateral methods must be used to eliminate them. Bombing the security wing is not considered low-collateral.
- Crew inside a department in which you must complete an objective may be considered a threat and pre-emptively eliminated without provocation.
- Murderboning is defined as the indiscriminate killing of multiple parties for no reason. Murderboning is not permitted.
- Intentionally creating additional witnesses as an excuse to kill them will be considered murderboning. (Pursuing someone into a main hall is always a bad idea, hide the evidence or hide yourself)
- Isolated killings and kills that reasonably assist with your objectives are not murderboning.
- See our Antagonist Conduct page for full details involving individual types of antagonists before enabling them in your preferences.
R7 Metagaming and Meta-communications
- Using outside sources of information/software on the round to gain an advantage over players is not tolerated and will result in a lengthy or permanent ban from the server.
- Discussing In character communication in out of character channels such as OOC or Discord is not allowed while rounds are ongoing (referred to as ICK OCK).
- Recordings and Streamings are allowed, but you must have a minimum of 1-minute delay for broadcasting. Recordings must not be uploaded until the current round has ended.
- You are also responsible for any metacomms taking place in your chat feed - obviously you can't control your viewers, but acting on metaknowledge from your feed will result in a ban.
- You cannot attack players over events that occured in a previous life. This includes ghost respawns, and new rounds. When you are cloned, you do not know who your killer is unless someone else tells you.
- Taking action against another player based on events your current character couldn't know about, or that occurred in a different round is called meta-grudging.
- If you wish to use metacomms to help assist/teach new players, contact an admin first and we will allow it. Just be sure not to act on any information that would get you in trouble as outlined above.
R8 Leaving the Game
- If you wish to leave the game, please use the cryopods located in the dorms when possible. This will free up your character's job to be filled by a new player. Store any important items in your department before heading to cryo.
- AI and command staff that leave the game (Cryo or not) without notifying admins may find themselves banned from Command/AI roles. As command, you may be playing an integral role in the round and shouldn't leave without notice, barring an emergency.
- Suiciding or logging off simply because you did not become an antagonist is not allowed. If you queue up for the round and then immediately leave the game you may be antag banned and will definitely have your antag rep wiped
All of the rules in this section apply only to our Medium role-play server, Sage. Bans applied as a result of breaking these rules will result in a ban only from Sage, since role-playing is not required on Golden.
M1 You must Roleplay
- Your character is a grown adult working on a research station for a major company. You are a professional; act like it. You answer to your superiors and they hold the power to demote you for insubordination.
- Respect Space Law and Standard Operating Procedure from the beginning of the round, but exception are justifiable through good roleplay as circumstances change with each round.
- Command staff is expected to enforce standard operating procedures within their department and to hold their subordinates accountable for breaching it.
- Declaring independance from NT or the rest of the station is grounds for a server ban unless it is done in response to character-driven events that have occurred in the current round.
- Even if excused as valid role-play, declaring independance is still treason and will be treated as such IC, either by CentCom or Security. Expect to be executed.
- Netspeak is not permitted (lol, wtf, brb and the like)
- Discussing out-of-round information in-game is not tolerated. (referred to as OCK ICK or OOC IC). This includes referencing admins, the fact you're playing a game on a server, as well as references to any other information that was obtained outside of your character's scope of knowledge.
- Use a lore-friendly name, and follow the naming conventions for your species by referring to Naming Guidelines.
- Do not use the names of famous real/fictional people/characters. Obvious or heavy references are also not allowed, even if not intentional.
- Clowns, mimes, and wizards are permitted to have meme/unusual names, but admin discretion still applies to extreme cases.
- Have knowledge of your role. If you are new to the game, we recommend playing a service role or Assistant so you can learn the basics without any major expectations.
- Our low role-play server, Golden, is intended to better facilitate learning the game as a whole since you won't be expected to role-play.
M2 No Self-antagging or Grief
- All global self-antag rules apply, but the following are additionally self-antag only on the MRP server, Sage
- Forcibly changing another player's race or transforming them without their direct consent is self-antag.
- Ordering dangerous shuttles without majority approval by the crew is self-antag. Dangerous shuttles include: Oh hi Daniel, Disco Inferno, Hyperfractal Gigashuttle, The Arena and Meteor with Engines.
- Disconnected players (SSD players) may not be stripped of items or searched for evidence of being an antagonist; Move them somewhere safe if possible. You can identify a player as disconnected by examining them; "They may snap out of it soon" means they are simply disconnected. "Any recovery is unlikely" means the player is gone for good and their body may be treated as if it were dead.
- Players disconnecting during an active arrest may still be searched.
- A disconnected player may be referred to as succumbing to SSD, or Space-Sleep Disorder
M3 No Powergaming
- Do not seek items that have no relevance to your job without an appropriate IC reason that was formed within the current round.
- This also includes seeking items for self-defense in maintenance or otherwise "just in case".
- Blue alert is not a reason to seek items for self-defense.
- Red alert or a direct threat/attack to yourself or your department are valid reasons to seek items for self-defense.
- Tech storage does not exist so you can have your own personal machine and ignore an entire department from the get-go; The boards stored within are intended to be backups for the original department.
- As a non-security & non-command crewmember, you're not an experienced soldier. Do not rush into danger unless there is no other option. This means you should call security if you see suspicious or hostile activity, rather than trying to investigate/intervene yourself unless you're a head of staff. This means no valid-hunting.
- Antags are exempt from this rule at all times.
M4 Do Your Job
- Non-antagonists are required to perform their assigned job in good faith. Breaks are fine, but ignoring your department and obligations is not. This is especially true of silicons which require constant attention to answer to people issuing orders you are law-bound to obey.
- If you are not familiar with what your job entails, you need to read the Standard Operating Procedure for your department.
- As people are expected to do their job, you are also expected to let people do theirs. If someone is manning a department, you must make a reasonable effort to solicit them for the service you require of them. If they are absent or unwilling to provide a necessary service or item, you are permitted to attempt to do it yourself, at the risk of IC consequences for breaking/entering or otherwise.
- Assistants are expected to help around the station and playing one is not a free pass to just do your own thing. You are the lowest in the chain of command among crew and are expected to answer to anyone and everyone when something is asked of you.
- Gimmick roles are expected to act out their assigned role in good faith. Barbers should style hair and otherwise advertise their services. Stage Magicians should "entertain" crew similar to clowns and mimes. Debtors "homeless" conspiracy theorists that think NT is out to get them (Do not seek to remove your hat), Psychiatrists should seek patients or obnoxiously flout their useless degree in the bar.
M5 Head of Staff conduct
- Heads of Staff are held to higher standards than regular crewmembers. You are expected to be a competent person and competent at all the jobs that work under you. You will be expected to lead your department as a professional and to enforce Standard Operating Procedure upon your underlings. Heads of staff are liable for head-bans if they are found to be incompetent at the role but choose to take it anyway. Heads of staff are not beginner-friendly roles on this server, or roles to take just for cool gear
- Heads of Staff generally should not abandon their post. Your underlings are much more expendable to NT than you are, do not leave the station to explore space or gateway missions unless there is a pressing need to.
- Heads of Staff should not overstep their bounds, for a few examples:
- The Head of Personnel is responsible for managing access to the station, but is only directly in charge of service and supply jobs. Access should only be given after joint communication with the department that access is being requested to, unless there is no head of staff present within it.
- The chief engineer is not in charge of science and should not be ordering scientists what to research
- The research director is likewise not in charge of the engineers and should not be demanding that engineers build machines for science.
- The captain or acting captain has final say over every department head, and is responsible for every department that has not yet been assigned a head of staff.
- The Captain's goal is to ensure the safety of their crew and the success of the station as a whole, not to abuse your position and power-trip over the station. The captain is not required to be totally proficient at all departments, but they should have at least a surface understanding of how each department functions. While total proficiency isn't required, Captains are still held to the highest standards of any other role on the station.
Golden provides the best beginner experience for the game due to its relatively lax rules - In fact, Golden doesn't actually have any additional rules in itself, just an extension of our Escalation Policy. In addition to normal escalation, there are several actions that make players "Valid" as explained below. The validity system is intended to teach players what to and not to do on the space station, since becoming valid will usually result in your untimely death and ultimately, your removal from the round. Be wary when trying to kill valid players however; just because a player is valid doesn't mean they can't defend themselves when attacked, and players that are particularly robust at combat may make themselves valid in an effort to incite others into fighting them.
- Once a player is valid to you, they can be removed from the round by any means you see fitting. This includes torturing them in any way you can come up with while not actually killing them.
- Just because your target is valid does not mean you are immune to IC repercussions for what you do to them. Security may still detain you for murder, for instance.
- Suspicions, hearsay over comms, and meta knowledge are not sufficient enough to deem someone valid, but allow for further investigation. No amount of arguing/declaring that a player is valid will make them valid to others that did not witness the act/evidence.
- All types of antagonists are valid once proven. Admitting to being an antagonist, even if you're lying, counts for the purposes of this rule.
- Self-antag makes you valid, but should be reported to admins via ahelp before acting.
- An admin response is not required to move forward with killing the other player, but failure to report the other player will be counted as over-escalation.
- Erotic role-playing or reciting erotic content makes you valid. This should also be reported to admins so we can remove degenerates from the server permanently ASAP
- Mutiny and Grand Sabotage as described under Space Law make you valid.
- Attempted Murder/Murder does not, and all other capital crimes are already covered by other definitions in a broader scope than space law covers.
- Trespassing in certain high-security areas makes you valid unless you are part of command staff/security, or absolutely no command staff/security is present. Entering with stolen access or by slipping in through an open door is still trespassing. This includes the following areas:
- Command staff quarters and offices
- AI satellite
- AI upload
- Being seen with antagonist equipment makes you valid. Loot gamer gear at your own risk.
- Being seen with a unique item you are not entitled to possess makes you valid, even if you had permission to take it.
- Buying a dangerous shuttle makes you valid (Oh hi Daniel, Disco Inferno, Hyperfractal Gigashuttle, The Arena and Meteor with rockets.)
- Releasing a contagious virus with any detrimental effects makes you valid (Virology Policy)
- Breaking your stated laws as a silicon makes you valid.
- Constructing an AI without permission from the Captain makes you valid.
- Mimes breaking their vow of silence are valid.
- Killing Ian makes you valid.
- Admins may deem a player valid. Ask if you are unsure in any particular situation, or if you'd like special permission to kill someone annoying who is otherwise not valid yet.