Talk:Frequently Asked Questions
Are there any differences between races?
- If you mean human races (AKA skin colors) then no. But other playable species have differences, for example Lizardmen speak with a funny ss-ss's, Adamantine Golems are spaceworthy, fireproof, and tough as rock. In exchange, they are slow, cannot wear uniforms, masks, gloves, exosuits or shoes. Slime people are mysterious, are extremely vulnerable to a certain slime-killing toxin. More info can be found from Creatures. Kingofkosmos (talk) 09:19, 5 September 2013 (CEST)
Advanced construction on latest /tg/ svn
Looking to build an entirely separate station, but all ingame, for kicks. Having trouble with things like wiring power and building air alarms seems impossible, as does "stealing" power/air from adjacent rooms with modification. Any advice?--(User:Unknown)
- First, if it is off station, you may need to ask the Chief Engineer To come and add the area onto the bluprints. Then you should be able to set up the necessary equipment. ORIGIN 20:26, 31 January 2013 (UTC)
- Another solution: head on over to the derilict! ORIGIN 20:26, 31 January 2013 (UTC)
I have my own server setup based off of your open source, how do I make myself an admin?
- Add your ckey to admins.txt in the config folder. Make sure it has no spaces or underscores, and keep it all lowercase. Icarus 01:29, 5 July 2012 (UTC)
How does one find said "ckey"?
- It's your byond name. ie the username you use when logging onto byond Icarus 03:43, 5 July 2012 (UTC)
Seems you had an unlikely encounter with that emergency O2 tank and somehow your buddy's leg fell clean off due to it's robust power of de-limbing. First off, limbs can be de-tatched with by taking any large amounts of damage in one area, or dropping an E-sword on thier heads and watching the leg fall.. Anyways.. First off, jobs that have access to the tools required, CMO ( Chief Medical Officer), Roboticist (Your best buddy in this case), Medical Doctor (Has access to Surgery Tools) Research Director (Doesnt have access to tools but has access to Robotics to get the said limb). The only thing you need to replace said missing limb is to A: Surgical Drill said limb area, while it is targetted in the damage doll in the upper right corner. B: Cauterize it by using the Cautery tool on said limb. (Both found in Surgery). C: Use said robotic limb on the missing limb area to replace it and bingo, all done! Remember, you cant attatch a Right Robot Leg, to the left leg socket on a human; Have to use that left robot leg.
- It is impossible to do this on TG, but I got someone from PS13 to share how it's done there:
- To replace missing hands, you have to saw off the entire arm completely.
- To replace missing feet, You have to saw off the entire leg, SAW style.
- To replace missing head, ask the geneticist to monkey-fy you, then re-monkey you.
- Errorage 21:26, 29 June 2011 (UTC)
Is it true that you can pm people by typing in byond://?src=[0xAAAAAAA];priv_msg=[0xAAAAAAA] where the AAAAAAA is the number id for someone's client?
- It is likely possible to do this, however since the client number changes every time you join (The hex number is a reference to the ingame client object, which is tied to your client). I don't know of any ways to determine a client ID. Gonna go ingame to try this out tho. --Errorage 23:38, 3 June 2011 (UTC)
- Most likely, find what their Ckey is, and then use the byond pager(this was installed when you installed Byond) to message them.--ORIGIN 11:00, 30 January 2013 (UTC -6)
How do I use emotes like "Robert Robustington nods"?
- You can use the "me" command to emote anything you'd like. (eg "me waves to you").
There are also some built-in emotes in the game, some with special effects. Just use say and an asterisk before your emote. eg, "Say *blink" (or use one of the below).
Using the "me" command is essentially the same as using "say *custom" --Icarus 09:17, 20 May 2012 (UTC)
blink, blink_r, blush, bow-(none)/mob, burp, choke, chuckle, clap, collapse, cough, cry, custom, deathgasp, drool, eyebrow, frown, gasp, giggle, groan, grumble, handshake, hug-(none)/mob, glare-(none)/mob, grin, laugh, look-(none)/mob, moan, mumble, nod, pale, point-atom, raise, salute, shake, shiver, shrug, sigh, signal-#1-10, smile, sneeze, sniff, snore, stare-(none)/mob, tremble, twitch, twitch_s, whimper, wink, yawn
Equipping oxygen tanks
Is it true that I can equip oxygen tanks on my back, and if yes, how?
- You can only equip the large oxygen tanks on your back. Emergency oxygen tanks will not fit. By large, I meant the ones you can get from from the dispensers in mining, science, engineering, atmos, or EVA. Just make sure you take off your backpack first. Icarus 21:23, 13 June 2012 (UTC)
- Actually this is false. In order to equip an oxygen tank, you need a suit that can take them, then equip them in the Suit Storage slot. Firesuits and Hazard vests can equip emergency oxygen tanks, while ZIS suits can take the larger tanks. You shouldnt equip it to the back slot. The only time you take your backpack off is to use a jet pack. --vulpineRyth 02:52, 24 June 2012 (UTC)
I can consistently get a vaccination to the cold from monkeys, but getting a flu vaccine never seems to come through. How do I get this to happen faster?
- The cures/antibodies manifests on their own very very very rarely. The easiest way to get them is to actively cure the sickness yourself - just go out and grab some spaceacillin syringes from the vending machines in Medbay. Return to Virology, inject yourself with Flu/Cold samples, shoot yourself up with Spaceacillin, go into one of the isolation chambers and use the Sleep (IC Tab) verb. Wake up, scan yourself, Flu/Cold should be gone and you should have antibodies. All in all it takes about 5 minutes - and if you want to be an actually good virologist, you'll destroy the remaining virus cultures and never think about ordering a virus crate from Cargo. 18.104.22.168 00:23, 6 July 2012 (UTC)
What are the detailed steps of making a functional grenade? How can I do it without an explosion or smoke in my face? How do I properly use one?
- First off, prepare your grenade charge. You need two beakers for that. Look up chemistry recipes; put one reagent in one beaker, and the remaining ones in the other. Repeat as many times as necessary. The rule of thumb here is to keep all your desired reactions one step away from final product. Screwdriver on timer and igniter to make them attachable, combine to make an assembly. Attach assembly to a grenade casing (made from metal). Add your two beakers, screwdriver. You're done!
I was attempting to hack doors just to figure out how but it doesn't seem to work. Even after using the "ghetto method" where you cut all of the wires and try to force with a crowbar it keeps telling me the bolts are preventing me. When I open up the door with the wire cutters it says the bolts are disengaged though.--(User:Unknown)
- Its best to use a Multitool to pulse the wires first, so you know which ones to cut, and which ones not to cut, because if you accidentally drop the bolts on the door, then you can pulse that wire again to raise the bolts. After that, just cut all the wires but that one.--ORIGIN
How do I put items on someone else?
I honestly forget how to put/give items to another person--there are times where I don't want to drop something, or the person is unconscious/dead.
- Click-drag the person onto you. This will open the strip-menu. If you have an item in your hand and click on the link to an empty slot on the strip menu, you will equip the item to them.
Hiding hair with a suit
Is there a way to hide hair using a suit? my fur coat item has a toggleable hood and the hair shows through it
- That is apparently a bug, not sure if it's been fixed. There is no other way to hide your hair except wearing a hat or shaving it off. Kosmos (talk) 07:33, 2 May 2014 (UTC)
Started my own server
I started my own server not to long ago and I really want to get it on the hub. i need step by step guide to get it there cause the instructions in the file didnt help me much.
- Go through the Downloading the Source Code -page "Making your server visible on byond.com" steps, it they don't work, byond.com probably has more instructions. Kosmos (talk) 07:33, 2 May 2014 (UTC)
Please Write your questions below: